Om Shanthi Old Age Home For Women
The Situation of a Widow in India
She is shunned because she is considered to might have caused the death of her husband. She is not supposed to marry again. Event when she is young. She is not allowed to attend weddings and family occasions. Her family of origin cannot help her because they are impoverished.
Other Women regard her as a whore or prostitute. Her female old friends will not help her, because the political, religious and cultural biases against windows are too strong to over come. She has lost not only her husband, but her full identity as a human being. She feels guilty and ashame her self and considers suicide. In former times Sati was practiced, which is the live burning of a widow on her husband's funeral pyre.
Old Age Home Womens Making Paper Bags
Inside Rest Room
What Happens with your kind donations ?
- » We help widows and destitute women who are in difficult financial situations.
- » We offer basic training program in handicraft work, so that they can become independent and self help.
- » We offer handicraft jobs which can be done at home.
- » We try to restore every widow’s self-respect and self-confidence as an independent parent, taking care of her children.
- » We provide also help for married in emergency situations.
- » There is fee medical treatment in the hospital of Shathimalai in Tiruvannamalai.
- » Our Om Shanthi Old Age Home offers free lodging, food and medical assistance for widows in need.
OM Shanthi Old Age Home
This nice building was placed at our disposal for old homeless abandoned windows, who live in the streets. With your donations we renovated it an added toilets and bathrooms. It has 12 beds and a large garden, which will provide good biological vegetables. An additional building with 12 more beds in progress.
Old age home